Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thoughts on Writing vs Storytelling

I'm reading a book right now (I'm not going to say what) that I'm really enjoying for the most part. The story is very intriguing and at this point I really want to follow it through to the conclusion.

But.

Occasionally I run across some writing that pulls me out of the story and makes me think about the writing instead of the story. Has anyone else had this experience?

There are a few areas of dialog that didn't seem natural to me, and there have been a few parts that seemed "clunky." I'm not sure how else to describe it.

When I'm reading a book, I want to get absorbed in the story. I don't want to be trying to follow the story or thinking about how something doesn't make sense or doesn't seem plausible.

I've read two other books recently that I really enjoyed and got fully absorbed in the story without thinking about the writing. They were "Canticle" by R. A. Salvatore and "Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod)" by Heather Brewer. I enjoyed them enough that I immediately ordered the rest of the series in both cases.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I've been thinking about the concept that the goal of writing fiction is to convey the story, not to showcase your writing. To me, at least, writing, if truly flawless, will disappear and not be noticed. Which seems to be an oxymoron.

It's a bit intimidating. I don't want people to be thinking about my writing when they read my stuff. If I ever get published, I hope I have an excellent editor who cleans up all my "clunky" writing, and I hope I listen to him/her.

No comments:

Post a Comment