Friday, May 29, 2009

Star Trek, books, and other stuff

My kids are gone. The house is so quiet--it's weird.

Yesterday was the last day of school. My parents picked up my kids right after school and took them to Branson. So far (from my daughter's text messages) it seems they're having a really good time. :)

Hubby and I went to Red Lobster last night (we had a gift card), which cost over $50 with just us, so would have been $100 with the kids! Man! It's getting so expensive to go out! This is why we will remain loyal to Taco Bell for the remainder of our days. And why I will try to cook most nights, even though I get tired of it.

Tonight we're going to see Star Trek again. Hubby and I are huge fans--have been for 20 years (him longer). We've seen every episode of every series and every movie. I don't guess you would call us "hard core" fans since we don't go to conventions and stuff, but we do like the franchise.

So anyway, as fans that are almost "hard core," we loved the movie. Yeah, the time line shift changes a lot, but we felt like it worked, and the plot was in keeping with the spirit of Star Trek. (And I don't feel like that's a spoiler since it happens in the first five minutes.)

I'm in the weird position right now of reading two books I have trouble putting down. I started reading "Hearing God" by Dallas Willard first. It's a fascinating and balanced (in my opinion) look at how God communicates with humans. Then I got the e-mail from the library that they had the third Maximum Ride book for me, and I HAD to start that because the second book left me hanging in many ways.

So one of the things I will do while my kids are gone is finish two books. I suppose I should finish one before the other, but I keep going back and forth. The one book is feeding something in my soul that is hungry, but it's very academic so I have to be focused to read it. The other is something my eyes can fly over quickly and gives pure entertainment.

I love both in books. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment